I was taking a nap earlier this week while waiting for a bus that I had planned to take to the mall after working all day. When I received a phone call from one of the first people I talked to from the ad I placed in craigslist, I picked up the phone and quickly realized that I had missed my bus and that if I wanted to make it to the mall I would have to jet out of bed at that instant and get ready. He was asking me questions about his sister's career choices and her chances at getting a job in the US. I guess my tone on the phone showed my surprise at being woken, and my tension of having possibly misses my bus at the time because my friend detected the stress in my voice as I quickly ended the call and got ready to leave the house. Just before leaving, I opened up my email and saw that he had written me the following email:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
seems like you are pissed off at something or someone....
anyway i had no big ulterior motives or something it was just a simple
question as me and my sister were discussing about the options here if
any and i got reminded of you and told her i have a friend who may
know more. anyway sorry to disturb you. i wont disturb you
anymore......
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was shocked at his level of anger at the whole thing and I wrote the following in response:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOL!!! how misconstrued....
you werent "disturbing" me, i was just woken up from a nap (yeah ok u woke me up but thats really not a big deal) and then i realized i missed my bus i had planned to take to crossgates mall bc i was sleeping. in all honesty though i really dont know anything about the careers of nutritionists other than the fact that they are hired at hospitals, camps, and rehab facilities and that she can do well if she interviews successfully at any one of these places.
what a final decision to make based on your perception of my emotion, which was in actuality meant to be directed at myself rather than at you. oh well. sorry! you can still disturb me whenever you want. just a misunderstanding, but i know from experience that people can get totally repelled by these things and if you did, i understand. i dont know what else to say.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hate making enemies inadvertently. I know these things happen - I have had even small things people say get on my nerves so badly that I stopped talking to them altogether and I don't even know if they ever knew why, but I didn't care enough about them to ever tell them to their face what the offense was. I was kind of angered after he wrote me that email because as it was anyway he hadn't called me in weeks, and when he finally did, that day, it was because he needed something from me. Whatever. At the time, I chalked up my anger at the situation to my menstruational status and kept trying to forget about it but clearly, I am still thinking about it. However, I am also still menstruating. Oh well. Live and learn, I guess. I really can't sit here and say that I lost some invaluable friendship because he never called me anyway. ::shrug::
So I began my new position on the day shift, on a vascular surgery unit where patients recover after having surgery on their blood vessels. It is interesting, but the chaos of the day shift hours are grinding and the acuity of the patients makes it ever more stressful for me as I feel the pressure of coming off of orientation in this specialized unit. I have tons of patient stories that I would like to write (without breaking confidentiality of course) but I have not had the time or energy to do it.
My 25th birthday is nearer and I feel older than I ever have in my life, because I will be older than I have ever been in my life. I have to accept this and be thankful that I am alive and allowed to have these experiences which many have not had the chance to have (meaning, I think of all the people in the world who have died before the age of 25), and I have to feel lucky and blessed that I have been granted this time to do wonderful things with. I have to improve myself by bettering myself and then bettering my environment and the people in it. I have to start making and keeping promises to myself. I will begin a list soon... when I have a moment to breathe :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment