Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Craigslist

My favorite section of craigslist.com is the missed connections page. I just read them and think about what might have happened if the poor saps who posted had made their move. The chance of their missed connection reading their post is slim to none and they are not very likely to connect that way at all. I wonder if anyone has actually met their missed connection through a post like that? I'd love to hear that story. I actually helped someone meet someone else through that section of the site. Granted, it was in Binghamton, where the population is just a tiny fraction of NYC's.
I have had to post a missed connection before, and I hated that I actually chickened out enough to have to do it. I try not to shy away from speaking to strangers if they are alone. In large groups, I totally get shy. But I love making friends enough that casual conversation in public is generally not difficult for me to initiate. I don't think a person can ever have too many friends.

I love craigslist. I have gotten jobs (temporary, one-time gigs, and seasonal employment), advice, items, and stress relief (rants and raves section) from that site. I think it's great that people from anywhere can post their desires, thoughts, and needs for others to see, in an anonymous forum, without having to pay a middleman to handle the posts or their fallout.
Of course, that's not to say it doesn't have its bad side. I have been ripped off from people (okay, one person) on CL before. But for the most part, people in this world have good hearts.

I first heard about craigslist from a friend about 4 years ago. I had bumped into her on the street around Spanish Harlem and she told me she was looking for fabric scraps for an art project, mentioning that she was waiting for someone to post that they had some on CL. I guess I was pretty late in the CL game because she was shocked that I hadn't heard of it. I, in turn, try to spread CL's gospel whenever I can!

No comments: