Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A little do-si-do

In the wake of my failed relationship, the embers of which I am still actively extinguishing, I have been making efforts to distract myself (again).  A few months ago I started an application to NYU's dual degree MSN/MPH program, and now all I have to do before I submit it is complete the personal statement. This is the most daunting part for me because I feel like there is no way I can provide a compelling argument for myself in 2-3 pages only. But if I need to try, no matter how scared I am that I will not be granted admission to the program. I need to overcome my fear of failure.

At the same time, to bring myself back to NYC, I have applied for and obtained a position as Home Care Coordinator at the Visiting Nurse Service of NY. I am excited for this opportunity and I really can't wait to get back to NYC. This is the moment I have worked towards since moving to Albany in Feb 2009. The only reason I am sad to leave Albany is because I will miss the people here. I am not expecting to meet such sweet people in NY. If I have coworkers anything like the ones I have now it will be a true blessing.  
I have had some nice things happen this week. Knowing that I am leaving soon has emboldened me to do things I would not normally do.

Here is one example... I am ashamed to admit that I had always been too shy to socialize with doctors because I just thought that they wouldn't want to talk to me. Well, I became brave enough to ask one of the docs who used to work with me, out for a cup of tea. We met yesterday and it was really nice talking with him for close to two hours and knowing that I had received something that I had asked for. In addition to this, I sent a text to another doc I used to work with, saying that I valued his work ethic and that it was just wonderful having known him. He reciprocated that feeling and asked me to stay in touch with him. That was also a great feeling. I am really enjoying this feeling that I have nothing to lose, and I love that I have taken risks that ended up turning out well for me.

Today I took a 3-hour sewing workshop at the Fuzzy Lightbulb Studio in Troy. Sewing is just one of those things I always wanted to do but never really got to dabble in. Robilee, the owner, taught me how to use her sewing machine and, using all my new skills, I made a pillow with these whimsical cupcake appliques on it. It is very soft and cuddly and it is coming with me to NYC.





No comments: