Saturday, June 9, 2012

Regret.

I am nearing 30 (well, 28 and 29 first, but still) and I never would have imagined that I would become the person I am today. Sounds like a positive statement but I don't mean for it to be. I always used to think that regret is a useless feeling and that I knew better than to regret things from my past because everything can be seen as a learning experience. But lately I can't help it. I regret so much. I regret things that I did and things that I didn't do. I regret things that were in my control and things that were out of my control. Here's a goddamn list of shit that I regret:
I regret allowing myself to fall in love so easily and not being practical when I should be. I regret not sticking to my guns in many, many ways. I regret whenever I come to the point of sheer anger and words come out of my mouth that really shouldn't. I feel like I wasted my 20s even though logically I know I haven't. I regret ever meeting the man mentioned in my last post. I regret that my parents are divorced and that therefore makes me a colder commodity in the eyes of Indian men everywhere. I regret my weight. I regret  that I have become so jaded that I have no more patience or sympathy for certain people anymore. I regret that I can't speak my mind when I need to and end up stifling tsunamis of emotion down the line because of it. I regret not keeping in touch with certain people. I regret trying to be someone I wasn't when I was a teenager. I regret that I didn't have a stable family to instill some pride and confidence in my young stupid ass. I regret that I know of these flaws and I still am not able to fix them. I regret that I never dug myself out of the rut of self-destructive thoughts and self-sabotage. I regret that I feel this way and I am almost 30 and still single and searching so hard for someone and something to enjoy. I regret that the aforementioned man has been so unbelievably good to me that I fear I will never find such sweet, true love again. I regret that I never learned how not to need people, how not to feel lonely. I regret that I continue to allow the abuses of others towards me live on in my actions towards myself. I regret so much shit that I just couldn't control. Why do I beat myself up like this? Why do I tell things to myself and make myself believe things that I would never say to another person? Why do I not feel worthy of self-love? Why do I allow my past to continue to affect me today? How can I get out of this?

It's worth mentioning, I guess, that the times I go back to this type of thinking are much less frequent than they used to be. But I still don't like that these thoughts still reside in me and attack me when I am most vulnerable. These self-abusive thoughts are like vultures; they loom in the air when I am near the point of breakdown and when it finally happens I am overcome and eaten alive by them.   

1 comment:

jaimie said...

oh , seema. i think we all regret lots of things. we all beat ourselves up, we all wish we did things differently. i honestly believe that no matter what...there will be times when we feel like this. i am 33 years old, and i never thought i would be where i am either. i know i should have finished school and gotten a real job before i had my children. i didn't tho...and that's it. my husband also...he hates his job! HATES it. he is such a smart person, he could have done anything! he had a rough childhood and lost his way. and now..here we are. we love eachother so much....but yet we don't have the things we want, the jobs we want, the house. the only thing we have is eachother and our sons. and i can honestly tell you...if i had to take the same path to end up here...that is the path i would choose again. love does not always conquer all...but sometimes it can and should. right now i am focused on my family...and yes worrying about money. but someday, i will finish my education and get that job i want...and so will my husband. and then there will be bigger mortgages and car payments and tuition payments...and the constant cycle of money and worry. the only thing i have that is truly worth it all is the love of my children and husband. they are the only thing i would not trade for a career or money and yet, if not for them i would have my career and probably some money. so...we all have choices, we all have regrets. we always will! so...CHOOSE. and then LIVE. because tomorrow is never guaranteed.