I am excited that in a few hours I will be seeing Polly, who I haven't seen in months, which is kind of hard to believe, and totally unnecessary, since we work just floors apart from each other. I will be taking a bus to Saratoga Springs and she'll be picking me up there. I can't wait :)
I have today and tomorrow off and I am really happy about it. For some weird reason every nurse I know, myself included, has been having a really rough time at work lately. I hardly ever feel like i just flat out do not want to go to work... but I have been feeling that way this and last week. Don't know why. The day before yesterday I didn't get out of work until 12:30am (I was supposed to be out of there by 11:30pm), didn't get my half-hour break, and I had not even gotten a stitch of documentation down for everything I did (I had to make it up yesterday at work)! Crazy, man. I have come to realize, though, that the main reason I get trapped into doing these things (staying so late, not even being able to get a break) is because I do not assert myself. That's starting to change though, because last night I kind of put my foot down and left at 11:40pm, which isn't too bad. Honestly, it really is not such a big deal for me to be staying at work an extra hour. However, it is not guaranteed that I will be getting paid for that extra hour since it is technically "overtime not previously allowed by my supervisor". And secondly, you know what? I don't ever see anyone staying way past the point they are supposed to, doing things for me. I hate how as the new person I have to bend and stretch all over the place to please each individual nurse. The people I get report from and the people I give report to are totally different and on one hand I have to accept that the one I am getting report from is giving me a half-assed report, excluding all kinds of information, while on the other hand I am obligated to stay for an extra hour because the nurse I am giving report to doesn't like tasks to be passed on to her (oh yeah, never mind that the one I got report from in the AM left me 800 things to do.). I try to keep in mind that I go to work to get paid and to get experience, not to get angry. I really have been working hard. Most of the time I am okay with everything. I just keep in mind that I really do not plan to be here all that much longer. It's just that this and last week, for some reason, have been really intense at work. I could use this time to my advantage and just practice asserting myself. I really do not have anything to lose. As a nurse I could be employed elsewhere. That's a good feeling too :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment