We're all adults here, are we not? Just in case, I guess I should forewarn you... a portion of this post contains material related to menstruation. So if you aren't mature enough to handle it, now's the time to click the little red X on the upper right hand corner :)
I guess it has been a year since one of my friends recommended the use of a menstrual cup instead of pads or tampons, though I have known about the benefits of using them for some time. For one, the pollution caused by millions of women worldwide through the use of pads and tampons is just riduculous; it's awful for the environment. Secondly, they are so bloody expensive (pun intended, haha!)! They are like, 6 dollars for a pack of 24...and they need to be changed every 6-8 hours, so a woman should go though at least 12 through the course of one 4-day menstrual cycle. The third point is that pads and tampons are made primarily of cotton, and are soaked in bleach so they are white and "pure" before use. I shudder to think what the effects of bleach in a vagina would be after repeated insertion of tampons over the course of a woman's menstrually active years.
All these concerns led me to do a little more research on the alternative methods for handling my period. What menstrual cups do is contain the material in a little bell-shaped cup positioned just inside the vaginal canal. It sounds nasty and unappealing, but it just takes some getting used to. Besides, the benefits to using them far outweigh the perceived detriments, in my view. So 2 months ago, I finally went ahead and purchased the exact menstrual cup that my friend recommended to me: the DivaCup. My only regret is that I did not purchase it sooner! I love it! It is made of hypoallergenic silicone and can be used safely for up to 10 years! And it can cost as little as $20 if you know where to buy it (though I paid $35 for mine in a chic Lower-Manhattan independent bookstore). The hardest part about owning one is mastering the insertion. I had to use thin panty liners the first time I used it, just in case I had a leak. But now I am so used to it, I don't bother with liners. It's great!! And it is way less messy than pads and tampons because when it's contained securely, the blood doesn't have the chance to spread all over the place. They come in 2 sizes- "small" for nulliparious women, or those who are under 35, and "large" for those who have given birth or who are over 35. I recommend it for any woman. $20 for ten years of environmental and personal protection is way worth it.
On to other things...
I decided to buy a fish! Yes, I have purchased a cute purple beta fish, who I have named Fellow. I just bought him about half an hour ago. He's so cute. I am deciding where in my room I should put him. Currently, the only available flat surface in my room is right next to a microwave, and I don't want Fellow suffering any ill effects from it.
I met someone for the first time today. We had good conversation over coffee and pizza. I became inspired to take up piano again, since I quit 7 years into it (I played from ages 7-14). I forgot how to read music, though I am still a musical person, as I sing whenever I can (including in the shower!). I would like to relearn the piano...I said out loud earlier to my friend that I would purchase a keyboard with my first paycheck...and I will! I would prefer for it to be a full-size 88 key one, though. I have to start seeing how much they cost. I'll settle for a smaller sized one if I have to, but I'll start looking for 88s the day I get a full-time job!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You are money saver too with getting quality products good practical purchaser
Post a Comment