I was studying in Starbucks the other day on 125th st and Lenox. A man with a limp and cane came in and sat across from me. He was afflicted with some kind of random, frank spastic disorder. He was dressed like a typical Harlem thug. He had a very handsome face. He began talking to me, asking me where I was from, what I was studying, etc. He was very considerate and polite. I came to find out that his name is Abraham Daniel, and he gave me a link to an article about him (a portion of which is copied and pasted below).
-------------------------------------------------
Abraham started making art as the result of a severe accident. As an adventurous young boy he fell off a scaffold that he should not have been on in the first place. The accident left him in a coma for thirty-three days at King County Hospital. When he regained consciousness he was badly crippled, and it was believed that he would never walk again. With a lot of help from others and his own determination, Abraham was able to walk again, and was dubbed the "Miracle Kid". The down side of his success was that he no longer needed physical therapy, and was released from the hospital. Fortunately, he was released into an art program at Harlem Hospital, the Harlem Horizon Art Studio.
-------------------------------------------------
Abraham was definitely talented. While I studied, he composed a poem, which he read to me after its completion. It was quite intelligently written. He left about two hours after he arrived. I really liked the fact that he was a positively-charged artist who was honest and open, and not afraid to be himself.
I love meeting people!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment